Self-Introduction

Subject: Self introduction email 


Dear Prof. Brad, 


My name is Vernon and I am writing this to introduce myself and to tell you what I hope to achieve for this module. I graduated from aerospace and aeronautical engineering in Nanyang Polytechnic, and currently I am studying mechanical design and manufacturing in Singapore Institute of Technology. I have always been interested in engineering ever since I went on board a navy ship my dad worked in, and that is what differentiates me from the others as I was able to gain a small insight in the engineering field at an early age. 


A communication weakness I have is speaking in front of a crowd, be it small or large. Speaking in front of a crowd has always been uncomfortable for me and whenever I am put in such situations such as presentations, I tend to panic and forget what I am saying which has happened countless times. 


However, one of my communication strengths would be speaking people one-on-one and even though I am still not particularly good at it, I will have to say I have improved over the years. Since communication goes both ways, I would also say that I am a good listener as I take in any form of feedback positively.

 

A goal I have in mind for this module is to gain the confidence and skills to better present in front of multiple people so that when I enter the workforce, I will be able to present my ideas for any project assigned to me without panicking and looking bad in front of my supervisors. Another goal would be to learn how to write up a technical report as it is something I have never done before even in polytechnic. I hope to achieve these goals at the end of this trimester. 


Best regards, 


Vernon Tan 

Comments

  1. Hi Vernon, your letter is clear and concise and informative. Though there are some parts where the words can be reduced, it's overall a good essay. Also, I hope you achieve your goals set for this module.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good afternoon Vernon, your letter is well written and you expressed your points very clear. However, it would be nice if you could share one example of your communication strength. Overall, interesting read. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Asyraf, thank you for the feedback! I am a little bit confused on how I can improve on this email as I have written an example of my communication strength. Appreciate it if you could clarify, thank you!

      Delete
  3. hi Vernon, great email. The email had a great flow to it which make me understood the email. Language is good, but there are certain parts that can be improved on. Keep practicing and your email writing will further improve. Language use is good. Overall I enjoyed reading you email writing. Good job Vernon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irsyad, thank you for the feedback. Will appreciate if you specify on which area I can improve on, thank you!

      Delete
  4. Dear Vernon,

    Thank you for this clear, concise letter. The content is ffairly well aligned with the assignment brief, you employ appropriate organization and the language use is good. You've also done a decent job providing support information for each specific content area, which allows us readers to gain a basic understanding of who you are.

    In the discussion of your motivation for studying engineering, for example, you mention how you would accompany your dad on a 'navy ship.' My question is this: What was your dad doing on the ship and how was that related to engineering?

    From what you have written, it's clear you can build your skills in terms of the communication you carry out in our module. I appreciate your willingness to improve in areas like report writing and presenting, which are both important steps toward academic excellence.

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Prof Blackstone,

    Thank you for the feedback on my email! To briefly answer your question about my dad, he was an engineer on board the ship for a few years in charge of the maintenance of the various engine and other machinery in the ship, and it was through this that I had the motivation to study engineering.

    Best regards,
    Vernon Tan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the response, Vernon. Obviously that was a great experience for you as a boy. Your dad must be proud of you now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary Reader Response Draft 4: Healthcare Drones

Critical Reflection